Systems Administrator - AWS
Team: Project team
Reports to: Team Lead
Start Date: ASAP
As part of our ongoing success and growth, Catalyst have an exciting opportunity open for a System Administrator/AWS Engineer to join our team based in Brighton UK and/or Ireland. You will help us continue to deliver the best in breed managed hosting services (AWS based) for our marquee brand clients in the Higher Education and not-for-profit sectors.
Catalyst IT Europe is part of Catalyst group of businesses - delivering best in breed managed hosting and application services for marquee higher education brands.
The nature of the work is varied and you may find yourself taking the lead role on one or more projects as well as providing general systems support. In general, you’ll be working on projects for our major clients, enhancing our AWS ECS containerised hosting architecture and delivering on projects to integrate, improve and enable our customers to meet their goals.
We value learning and experimentation and encourage team members to pass on the things they’ve learned to others in the company; training is supported in various forms, including self-directed learning and structured third-party courses.
Roles and responsibilities
You will join a team who are collectively responsible for:
- Providing designs and estimates for new projects and performing detailed specifications and work breakdowns before tasks are actioned.
- Allocation of work at daily/weekly standups and planning sessions - with frequent updating of progress both to internal and external (client) stakeholders
- Time management, i.e. committing to and meeting project milestone dates
- Maintaining a high level of quality in the project output (both functional and non-functional)
- Operational oversight of the majority of Catalyst EU’s hosting platform and corporate services
- Identification of constraints and opportunities for improvement
The execution of these responsibilities has a direct link to the efficiency of each team and the company as a whole, and teams will be tasked with not only meeting certain base targets but also contributing to the global increase of efficiency over time.
You as an individual team member will be measured not only on the performance of the duties related to your core discipline but also on your contribution to the team’s achievement of its overarching responsibilities.
Skills you will definitely need
- Willingness and ability to learn new technologies proactively and work in a team
- Ability to organise yourself and to adapt in a fast-moving, busy environment
- Experience working exclusively in Linux environments.
We don’t expect candidates to be experts on all of these, but the more you know the quicker you’ll be productive!
- AWS (including, RDS, ECS and EKS)
- Puppet, Ansible, Terraform
- Docker, KVM
- PostgreSQL, MariaDB, MySQL
- Redis, Memcache
- Nginx, Varnish, Apache
- PHP, Python, BASH, Git
Teamwork and relationships
- Works effectively across the team and with other teams
- Understands how their team works with Catalyst’s strategic environment
- Regularly engages with clients and can represent Catalyst in client meetings on their own
- Self-motivated and contributes to team planning and work allocation, and in some cases takes the initiative to support the planning of solutions against requirements
- Actively shares knowledge across the business. Contributes to best practices in their domain
- Understands specifics of their domain, can work collaboratively to upskill others and could run training courses for clients
- Has broadened beyond standard tools and is able to iterate and seek efficiencies and improvements
- Works with the team to review each other’s work. Rarely requires significant input or rework. Can provide technical improvements and valuable domain knowledge.
- Can contribute to, or lead on design discussions. Comfortable analysing elements and breaking them down into tasks
- Escalates issues as they are identified through the appropriate channels
- Models the behaviours that represent Catalyst’s values inside the organisation and in all external engagements
- Understands the connection between Catalyst’s brand and our long term success
- Champions open source solutions within their wider professional groups
- Contributes to instilling a culture within the team of commitment to excellence
- Flexible working arrangements, remote working options as standard
- Private medical insurance option
- Unlimited annual leave policy
- bike to work scheme
Details for applicants
If you would like to apply for a role at Catalyst, please send your C.V. and covering letter to jobscatalyst-eu.net